Saturday, July 20, 2013

Mule Kicks

Friday was a day of two firsts. My first lunch at Philco (previously Phillip's Coney Island), and my first happy hour at Little Rock bar. Both were great! Phillip's Coney Island had been somewhat of an establishment in the Short North; an old school coney diner that had been there for ages, with spin-y bar seats and boiled dogs. It has recently been revamped into a neo-diner of sorts with lovely choices in interior elements, and awesome choices in grub. They've also installed a neat eating counter  in the window that overlooks High St. Great for people watching while filling your belly. I also like the graphics!







I got the Johnnycake sliders and an order of smokey bacon-y potato salad.  The johnnycakes are tiny little pancakes with pulled pork and creamy kraut sandwiched between them. They were good with a hint of maple sweetness to the cakes. If I changed one thing, I might add some vinegar to the pulled pork just for a smidge of depth.




My lovely coworkers made excellent choices in the forms of grilled cheese, the breakfast biscuit, and fresh cut fries that come in a neat aluminum cup. I can vouch for the fries, as KK let me thieve one from her cup! Delicious!


Moving on to happy hour...

We went to a new place in Italian Village at 944 N. Fourth St. called Little Rock Bar.


It really has just opened, and it seems like they are still working out a few kinks with the payment system (my receipt wouldn't print), but that is so super minor and is to be expected with a new joint. The place was great! Seeing as it was super hot out, I wanted something refreshing, cool, and fizzy. I ordered a Moscow Mule. And another. The kicks were painless, but they had lingering effects. 


The service was friendly, the patrons seemed laid back, and get this...they have a free jukebox!!! That's right, FREE!!! We took turns choosing songs. I chose one of my favorite songs, The Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. The jukebox is loaded with excellent song choices. I mean with a name like Little Rock, and with album covers displayed on the wall, a good music selection is imperative. Also, I'm not much of a beer drinker, but it looked like they had a decent selection on tap. My coworkers seemed pleased.



Those ladies aren't my coworkers.


So there, two places I would recommend giving a whirl.

Philco

Little Rock Bar














No comments:

Post a Comment